Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Another blogger gone too soon...R.I.P. Mike Finnigan

 

I am absolutely gutted to learn of the passing of the talented and generous-of-spirit Mike Finnigan
 
I didn't know Mike as a musician. I didn't even know how prominent and well-known a session guy he was or that he was a performing musician until quite recently. How I didn't know is surprising and how Mr. Brilliant didn't know is even more surprising, given that he was far more knowledgeable about such things than I was.
 
I only knew Mike Finnegan as one of the progressive bloggers with a sizable following who always extended a hand to us little folks down the blogging ladder to drive readers in our direction, via his regular feature Mike's Blog Round-Up at Crooks and Liars.
 
We've lost so many of the best bloggers. Mike joins a group of incisive commentators who left us too soon and who we miss every day. Steve Gilliard, Jon Swift (Al Weisel), Skippy (Gil Christner), "Doghouse Riley", and Maggie Jochild. Their voices would be so valuable in these weird times.

I'll end this memorial with this incredible cover by Mike Finnigan of Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come.



 
Rest in music, sir.

4 comments:

  1. I knew Mike for 50 years. I was briefly a roadie for the Jerry Hahn Brotherhood. Later I ran the sound system at The Lion's Share, a drug infested dive where all the legendary Bay Area musicians played. Mike performed regularly there with Finnigan and Wood. For a year or so I played with his band mate from the Serfs, Lane Tietgen (R.I.P.)

    For 42 years I was the roadie for Sons of Champlin. Front man and namesake Bill Champlin was himself a dynamic Hammond player and singer, and they were the best of friends.

    I was delighted to find that Mike and I aligned politically. Last time I saw him he was musical director for Joe Cocker, although Mike was a betters singer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated for spam. Spammers please note: Your comments WILL be deleted without being published.